Often as time goes the team that runs Interlock IT infrastructure needs to make updates and upgrades to our systems. This has happened recently with the upgraded wireless infrastructure right here at Interlock. While this was done about a month back, full production cut over happened earlier this week. We were using a Meraki (Cisco) based wireless system. While nice, it had an annual renewal cost that was unfortunately not sustainable for us. After much research and thoughtful debate, the decision was to use a Ubiquiti based wireless system. Here are some action shots of the team installing them.
Wonderfully professional install if you ask me. Here is a nice image of the layout.
As you can see we have upgraded to having a 5 Ghz AP as well. If you want to use it please be aware that we have some new SSIDs created. INTLK-Member (for members) and INTLK-Guest (for guests).
Please enjoy your new wireless experience at Interlock Rochester.
JustBill — an Interlock NetAdmin
from Bill on May 22nd, 20150 Comments
Hi all! I’d like to formally announce something that we’ve (kinda) been working on for a little while now.
THE INTERLOCK SHELVES OF POTENTIAL AWESOME!
It is a library of sorts… The idea is this: If you want to try out one of the dev kits that are there, you can sign them out for your own use. Preferrably something that you will write a blog post for. 😉 but even if you just want to sit down with one and mess with it for a week or two, go for it!
Here’s a list of what’s currently available on the shelf:
In that list you will find an inventory ID that matches the ID on the tag attached to each package. You will also find a contact person who may be able to help or at least point you in the right direction for what these things are, how to use them, etc.
For now, these items are borrow-only. We are working on a way for these items to be purchasable in the future. For example, if you start using one, and integrate it into your awesome project, we would like for there to be a way for you to purchase it from the space. If there’s something you want to borrow, contact Scott to check it out. We’ll eventually have some sort of fancy computer-assisted self-operated inventory system, but for now, we’ll go with this.
We are looking for more borrow-donations for the shelf! If you have more, please let us know! I’d like to make more Arduino boards available, as well as modernish laptops and possibly retro computers for people to borrow and play with.
In the near future, I will be setting up a laptop or two with a guest account to be stored there for borrowing in case you want to work on something at the space but forgot your own kit at home.
There is also a CD case disguised as a “1997 MSDN Subscription” box. This is currently filled with empty disc sleeves, but in the future, it will be populated with various install media for various old and new hardware. I will be bringing in disc media for some obsolete systems to be put in there. I’d like for one of you Linux Master Craftspeople to burn a copy or two of the current preferred desktop/server/32/64/whatever discs to be stored in there. We will catalog the contents as things get added.
from BleuLlama on May 20th, 20152 Comments
One of my co-workers gave me his Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 to fix. Apparently, something went bad with the USB connector, and his kid was very persistent with trying to get the charging cable into it, and completely mangled the connector. Then he tried to fix it too, which made things worse… including chewing up the outer frame. He ordered a replacement USB connector and asked if I could fix it. It sounded like a fun project so.. sure!
He had already popped the back off at some point, so I just popped it back off again. The USB port had to be desoldered from the board. Little did I know that it also was glued down. That made it a bit difficult to remove from the board
With a lot of extra solder, and some leverage with the tweezers, I did manage to get it off. Some work with the vacuum pump desolderer, some desoldering braid, and cleanup with rubbing alcohol and the mainboard was ready for the replacement part. (Sharpie for scale)
Getting it lined up so that all of the pads matched up and that the connector’s opening would line up with the case was a little bit tricky. I soldered this one on with too-large of a tip by doing the “flooding the pads” method. Then excess solder was removed with some braid.
Before I fully reassembled it, I tried out the jack, and it worked! I filed down and smoothed out the edge to remove any broken frame bits, to fix the damage done the first time it was opened, and powered it on.
The best way to test it, and the best way to go a bit insane is to get a chorus of Talking Ginger and other talking animals going… They were repeating each other, degrading the sound more and more with each repetition… We were pretty punchy at the end of the evening…
from BleuLlama on April 8th, 20150 Comments